- applications: Broker, Enrollment, and Quoting Portals
- client: Cigna
- project date: 2010 - 2012
- summary: Maintenance for Cigna's quoting system (billing calculation overhauls and PDFlib-generated PDF proposals), and creation of bulk premium testing application.
Cigna had four web applications to facilitate sales of health and dental insurance:
- Broker Portal - Agents sell policies, run quotes, and view commissions data
- Quoting Portal - Individuals get quotes for health & dental coverage
- Enrollment Portal - Individuals enroll in health & dental policies
- Member Portal - Members view benefits, make payments, and track claims
My work with Cigna’s portals spanned three years, largely driven by new feature requests:
- Support for quoting dental products across ten states
- Add and terminate health products across ten states for quoting & enrollment
- Overhaul the billing calculations and layout for members
- Modify PDF proposals generated with PDFlib
I also created a bulk premium rating tool that allows internal rate analysts to run large data sets through uploadable spreadsheets to test their own quote rating engines.
This period marked a lot of growth for me as a junior web developer coming from a startup company, getting my feet wet with enterprise-level web applications.
The biggest challenges I faced were mostly enterprise firsts:
- Absorb the vast business domain of health & related insurance
- Implement DB2 cursors to facilitate server-side pagination in result sets
- Write design and test documents
- Collaborate on teams of business analysts, project managers, and QA
There were also technical challenges where I was in over my head:
- Learn an in-house-built MVC framework, also my first MVC framework
- Map values to PDFs proposals using complex XMLs
- Work with AJAX using Prototype to call premium rating web services
My biggest personal accomplishment was conquering the huge learning curve of domain knowledge and enterprise exposure as a junior developer.
My longest-lasting application to date is the bulk premium rating tool. It is still in use today and still saves countless hours for a team of rate analysts.
- Concepts: MVC, AJAX, OOP, Web Services
- Tools: MVC Framework, Prototype, Pdflib, Dimensions (VCS)
- Stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, DB2