- application: Beazley Group Portal
- client: Beazley
- project date: Nov 2014 - May 2015
- summary: Real-time, mass-employee, health insurance enrollment platform that submits to backend, Java/WMB enrollment services.
Beazley had a group enrollment platform where the companies could only enroll one employee at a time using a wizard-based flow.
The task for this project was to overhaul this group enrollment platform to facilitate real-time mass-employee enrolling. We were tasked to:
- Allowed bulk, asynchronous adds/changes of employees and coverages
- Integrate into the existing Beazley Employer Portal that their groups use
- Ensure fast performance and real-time enrollment processing
I worked on a team of developers that worked directly with the business unit as well as the middleware teams who provided the real-time enrollment processing web services.
Some of the tasks we split up amongst ourselves were:
- Designed interactive jQuery UI allowing adds and changes on one screen
- Submitted enrollments to a backend Java/WMB XML web service using AJAX
- Added real-time status tracking of new enrollments and changes
On top of these design & development tasks, I took on the job of predicting, organizing, and estimating every task we all had to do to ship the product.
This project was the largest undertaking I had to date in terms of cross-team coordination:
- WMB Team - Managed queues and inter-application communications/mapping
- Business Rules Team - Validated business rule on XML request from us
- Java Team - Transformed validated XML request into 834 flat file for Admin
- COBOL Team - Issued policies & changes on the mainframe
The greatest accomplishment of this project was that our system saves the insured companies/groups dozens of hours every enrollment period, reducing their frustration and increasing their satisfaction as Beazley customers.
- Concepts: MVC, AJAX, Web Services, UI/UX, Scalability
- Tools: MVC Framework, jQuery, jQuery UI, Dimensions (VCS), Git, Postman
- Stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, DB2